Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica quality control and durability
From: Iain.Dawson@ea.gov.au (Iain Dawson)
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 13:52:02 +1000

     Dave and Jack

     I have been contemplating your comments (Leica Users digest Vol 4
     #25)in the context of my own experiences with Leica M cameras and
     lenses.  For the most part I agree with you, but different people
     have different needs and value different things.

     I have owned several (used) bodies (M2,3,4 and 6) and the only one I
     have had problems with was the one with the perhaps the best
     reputation - the M4 (the film transport failed intermittently). My
     current M6 'Panda'(I love it even though others on this list think
     it is ugly) so far in 3 years has had no problems. No lenses have
     ever failed. Not a bad record compared to other brands I have owned.

     I have never owned an R series for various reasons (so I have no
     knowledge of the new zoom lenses). One of the reasons I have never
     owned an R series camera  was that I once worked for an organisation
     that did and they had a number of problems with them (R3 to R5) and
     with the lenses (eg diaphragm mechanism failing).  They switched to
     Nikon eventually. This is a problem for any manufacturer - one or two
     bad apples can put prospective buyers off even if on the whole the
     product is better than anyone elses.

     Another reason is that I sometimes need to carry (on my back) my work
     cameras long distances in rough terrain, often in high temperatures,
     and be able to work fast. Total weight is important to me.  I also do
     a lot of macro work so ttl flash is sometimes important. So I bought
     Olympus first, and, when that system wasn't getting the attention it
     deserved from the manufacturer, switched to Canon AF. Availability of
     batteries is not an issue here in Australia, as long as I remember to
     pack a spare, so I don't need fully mechanical cameras. The Canon
     system is cutting edge technology, very innovative in design, and
     capable of the highest quality results.  However if you grip a zoom
     lens at the end furthest from the camera you may find the side to side
     movement frightening. I did.  I don't expect these lenses to last as
     long as a Leica lens.  I probably wouldn't buy a secondhand Canon
     lens, and I expect to keep trading in my lenses every few years.
     Nevertheless, for the purpose I have for them, they are 'good enough'.
      The R8 doesn't tempt me at all.  I think it is too bulky/heavy for
     what it does, but it obviously suits other peoples needs and is
     undoubtedly a fine camera.

     A good friend of mine, a professional photographer, has sold his R
     system and uses M series exclusively.  (This is very handy as he
     occasionally lends me his very fast lenses).  He does theatre
     photography and this is the best system for the job.

     I can't comment on Contax vs. Leica reflex, other than to wonder if
     the difference is so great as to make it worthwhile changing? I would
     probably opt for Contax, as it would fit my needs better ( for example
     the option of a lightweight second body).

     Apart from the functional aspects of M series cameras (and them
     fitting very well a particular niche in the market that requires
     quietness and fast lenses for example), there is also the not
     inconsiderable pleasure of owning one for its classic elegance and
     simplicity, and particularly the way it feels when you hold it.
     This could be worth a lot more than the differences in optical
     qualities, quality control and durability between the major
     manufacturers. I wouldn't be surprised if more people bought them
     for the way they feel rather than what they can do.

     Iain