Subject: [Leica] Customer issues
From: Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 20:25:38 -0700

>>Let me add a heartfelt AMEN...I ran a gun shop for several years and it
was
>>quite common for people to come in and take up literaly hours of my time
>>"fingering" every gun in the house and asking a gazillion questions and
then
>>go to the local MART-MART and purchase the item and saving perhaps 10 to
15
>>percent...I even had them have the audasity to bring there new rifle and
>>scope back to me and ask if I could put the scope on for
>>them...(suuuurrrreee I did).  If you need assistance in making a
purchase,
>>please have the decency to be willing to pay the merchant for his
>>expertise...

I agree and disagree with the above. On one hand, we all have to realize
that salespeople are busy and can't always be focused on one person and an
endless stream of questions. However, what is the alternative? I had the
same problem when I was in retail, and my solution was to excuse myself and
help a paying customer.

I also realize that some customers do take up time they buy elsewhere, and
that is questionable. Can't you scope the weapon for a fee? Helping
customers also can pay off in the end.

It is a tough and sometimes fine line, but you are not alone. This happens
in all types of stores and it is something you have to deal with. If you
can't, get out of retail is the advice I give people. If I have any
complaints, it is that the average sales person is an uneducated slob who
has little or no patience with customers, does not know the product they
sell, gets tired of helping peoiple and is for the most part, useless. My
other complaint is the lack of specialty stores - especially photographic
stores. I am tired of trying to find a common item and be told it is not
stocked, or to be told they have one and it turns out they do not.

RM