Subject: Re: [Leica] Death of darkroom?
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 22:17:51 -0800

The following is from BJP online news:<br>
Darkroom closure <br>
The Guardian and The Observer is closing their wet darkroom this week
after a long and distinguished history with six of the darkroom
technicians facing an uncertain future, although some positions will be
available in the scanning department, writes Reuel Golden. <br>
The closure is a sign of the times as papers become more reliant on
digital technology and picture desks increasingly source picture agencies
for images, rather than using staff photographers For example this year
Guardian Newspapers Ltd signed a contract with Allsport where for an
annual retainer, it can use editorially as many pictures as it likes
taken by agency photographers. <br>
In this digital environment, where pictures are electronically captured,
stored and transmitted, it is believed that management within the group
regarded a space-consuming, 18-hour seven-day operation as economically
unviable. <br>
... <font face=3D"Monaco">Subscribe at
&gt;Bob Maxey wrote:-<br>
&gt;=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 I do
not see<br>
&gt;traditional methods<br>
&gt;&gt; disappearing too soon, but it seems to be headed that way. Less
and less<br>
&gt;&gt; people in the dark and less and less materials available from
Kodak makes<br>
&gt;&gt; me wonder if one day, we will have just a few papers
available.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;There is an article in our UK mag Amateur Photographer last week
saying<br>
&gt;that the opposite is happening. It was based on interviews with
Kodak<br>
&gt;Ilford Paterson Nova etc, all reporting increased sales of
darkroom<br>
&gt;equipment, particularly upmarket equipment, fibre paper etc <br>
&gt;Some=A0 quotes:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&quot;It seems the darkroom may be gaining recruits from the many
people who<br>
&gt;were lured by the creative potential of digital imaging but=20
were<br>
&gt;disappointed by the experience.&quot;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&quot;People don't get the same buzz from making a digital print as
they do from<br>
&gt;a conventional one.&quot;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&quot;I work on a computer all day. The last thing I want to do when
I get home<br>
&gt;is sit at another one. I want to get in the darkroom and create
something<br>
&gt;with my own hands.&quot;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Professional/journalistic needs of speed and transmission are a
different<br>
&gt;matter, but for fine art and hobbyists the future may not be too
bleak.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Mike<br>
&gt; </html>