Subject: [Leica] image quality
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 19:45:49 +0100

The topic of image quality versus artistic expression has been discussed on
this list quite a few times. The pictures of HCB have a timeless quality with
respect to human interest. His pictures also show a near superb mastery of one
part of the essence of Leica photography: the art of the snapshot and the
creation/selection  of a (surrealist) composition of a slice of time/space.
Given his style of photography the ultimate in optical quality would not have
any added artistic value. To conclude that optical quality in itself then does
not constitute a valuable goal, is a bridge too far.
If we look at the pictures of Jeanloup Sieff (as example or even Jeff Dunas)
we will definitely find added value to the pictures because of the mastery of
technique and the use of optical quality as a style element in the images.
Helmut Newton (not a Leica user btw) again shows that his images thrive on
contrast  and crisp rendition of detail.
The general assumption that older Leica are as useful as newer ones, because
the best optical quality is hardly needed in many photographic situations,
must be refuted. Newer Leica lenses are always better and more useful than
older ones. One may be very fond of and proud of an old Leica lens, in the
same way as one can feel admiration for an older Harley motorcycle.
The superior optical quality of the new generations of Leica lenses since
about 1988 can add impact to the pictures. It gives the opportunity to show
reality with curious and admiring eyes, because it can show image details and
texture details and can capture the subtle working of light and shadows and
colours in a way never recorded before.
You may call it straight photography (in Adams and Westons style) but here we
Leica users have a competitive advantage we should exploit. After all we buy
Leica lenses because of its recording potential and we use the M because of
its possibility to capture reality in the most demanding and/or fleeting
situations.
In a week I will present my report of the 3.4/135, a lens, to give a clue,
that redefines image quality with the Leica. The Leica people give lavish and
some would say excessive care to ensure the best designs and optical quality
available today. Should we not be willing to extract from this lens its
optical capabilities, why buy Leica?

Erwin