Subject: Re: [Leica] image quality one more time, 75 Summilux
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 23:25:51 -0600

>I agree with Erwin.  I prefer better lenses.  The newer lenses are better -
>sharper - better resolution - better contrast.  Sentiment for the older lenses
>is fine but it does not interest me.

I am in agreement here with other's sentiments.

It was reinforced once again today. I hate to sound like a broken record,
but if anyone is sitting on the fence about the 75 Summilux...well... :-)

I was at a small private school today, and a singing group from Zambia was
there to perform. They sang in a gym that was so dim, the exposure at ISO
800 (didn't push for some stupid reason) was 1.4 and 1/30 sec. and 1/60
sec. depending on which part of the room I was in. REAL flat light. Lots of
shadows. I kept thinking as I took a picture I'd probably have to come back
and photograph them eating lunch with the school kids. (There was a tiny
bit of blur from camera shake, but not distracting. You can see it if you
blow a picture up to about 10X or more).

Well, my 75 Summilux pulled my butt out of the fire once more. I got a
spectacular picture color-wise. The wall behind them was red. (I didn't
notice it while I was standing there!) Their yellow simulated leopard skin
shirts just glow. Their skin  (all of them black with rather dark skin) is
full of detail, considering the light. I am really amazed. I'll post a
picture soon. This lens is a must-have for available light nuts!

Ted! Who needs flash? :-)
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Capt'n! The spellchecker kinna take this abuse