Subject: [Leica] 180s
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 07:36:10 -0500

topher wrote:

> To All the Leica Sages Out There;
>    This humble novice/lurker is thinking about getting a 180 R APO; I was
> salivating over the 2.8, but my trusty salesman also had a 3.4 APO (although
> I didn't actually see it). Is there any great difference between the 2?  Is
> the 3.4 lighter, sharper, (it's cheaper in the non-ROM version he has, and I
> only have a R7) or nifty in any other way? Thanks for any wisdom thrown this
> way..............
>
> Topher

Topher,

The 180s are one of Leica's "sweet spot" focal lengths that they have
completely mastered.

The 3.4 is legendary for its sharpness, launched the apo concept at
Leica, has close focusing limitations and reported vignetting at max
aperture. The new 2.8 Apo is as near perfect as a lens can get. Its
overall performance may exceed the 3.4 (horrors!) according to Leica's
marketing hype. I saw one yesterday at Photo Expo in New York and it is
similarly sized to the 3.4. I own the 2.0 Apo which is an amazing lens
in every aspect. Only downside is the size; you feel as if the camera
strap will break under the weight at any second. Otherwise, it's
steller. Summary: Apo 2.8 or Apo 2.0 is on the first tier; 3.4 on the
second tier and "regular" 2.8 on the third tier optically. Of course,
even the "regular" 2.8 is an excellent lens, with many LUG fans.

You cannot make a mistake at this focal length.

David W. Almy
Annapolis, Maryland