Subject: Re: [Leica] 180s
From: drbledsoe <drbledsoe@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 07:14:12 -0800 (PST)

- ---Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net> wrote:
>> Where is it reported it has vignetting at max aperture. I've never
seen that. It is reported it's optimum aperture is wide open.<<

Eric,

I was a bit surprised by the vignetting claim for the 180/3.4 too.  It
is not something I have experienced in mine.  I checked the Dennis
Laney book, _Leica Lens Practice_ 2nd addition and on page 152 it does
discuss it briefly, "Critical exposure measurement is important at
full aperture for subjects with uniform brightness to avoid the
falling-off in brightness at the corners which is inherent in the
design..."

Since I don't shoot plain walls or the sky maybe I just haven't seen
it in mine.  But then what do I know... other than it is the sharpest
lens I own.

Don