Subject: [Leica] L 70-180 vs. N/AF-S 80-200
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 1998 09:12:14 -0500

> On 27-10-1998 01:31 Eric Welch wrote:
>
> >Note: I hear the new AF-S 80-200 2.8 is going to sell for $2,000. Now we
> >know the REAL reason Nikon was dragging their feet on this one. I sure
> >think I'd rather have the Leica for $1,000 more, but I'll have to see when
> >a friend gets one. I'm one lucky dude on that point - again, thanks Ted! :-)

I saw the new Nikon 80-200 AF-S lens at Photo Expo in New York. They had
one on hands-on display. It was HUGE, bigger than the Leica 70-180!
Also, not particularly attractive, as lenses go. Kinda clunky looking.
No symmetry. Optics? We'll have to wait and see.

David W. Almy
Annapolis, Maryland
(w/3 M6s, 1 R8 and (horrors) 1 F5)