Subject: [Leica] more computer woes
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 08:43:08 -0800 (PST)

Recently I had to replace the computer mejac.palo-alto.ca.us.
You probably noticed that it was offline for a while.

On Sunday afternoon 1 Nov 98, just as I was leaving for the airport on a
weeklong trip to Oklahoma City, the system disk in the new server screeched
to a halt with the sound of metal grinding against metal.

I came back several days early from the trip and bought a new disk and
reinstalled all of the software and restored everything from tape backup.
This message is both a test and a notification. I have not yet turned on
incoming mail, so you won't be able quite yet to send to the leica and
rollei lists, but I have processed all pending outbound mail, and in sending
this message I am testing to make sure all of the wheels are turning again.

If this works to my satisfaction I will turn on inbound mail about 1800 GMT
today (Wednesday 4th November).

Brian Reid
Computer guy; photographer when his computers aren't failing.
Palo Alto, California

p.s. the failed disk was a Seagate Medalist Pro 9140. I have very rarely had
problems with Seagate disks. It is 1 day out of warranty as of today, and the
vendor where I bought it, Fry's electronics, is not the sort of store that
would ever replace a disk 1 day after the warranty expired.