Subject: Re: [Leica] For the better?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 20:13:20 -0600

>If any other people on this list worked in the business 20
>years ago, I would like to hear your comments on the changes EK Co. have
>gone through.

I wish I could disagree with you. Kodak decided several years ago that pros
weren't worth the money they were spending on them. Then they cut their R&D
budget. They fell so far behind Fuji, it's going to be tough to come back.
Their Ektapress film was great when it came out, but Fuji 800 has always
outperformed anything Kodak has come out with.

I've had a Kodak rep. wooing me for the past two weeks. He sent me some of
the newest Ektapress 800 and 400, telling me that it addresses all the
quality problems people have with the older versions. (These films were
introduced at this Photokina). I was hopeful that it would prove to be a
sign Kodak was making a comeback.

So far, the answer is no. Fuji still kick's Kodak's butt in neg. films. At
least from the few rolls of the new films I've shot so far. But Kodak's new
chrome films are absolutely wonderful. And with the new Kodachrome
mini-lab, it looks like ol' K-14 might be making a comeback.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Experience is a tough teacher. It gives the test before the lesson.
- -unknown