Subject: [Leica] RE: Art and Photography
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 11:38:47 -0000

Ted,
Maybe that 'dragon lady' came over here to start changing our educational
curriculum...

My 15 yr old daughter was going to take Photography as an optional
additional GCSE exam. There was no syllabus available (at first) as it was
being changed, and from the previous year's craft based (scientific)
persuasion it has now landed in the art department.

Don't get me wrong, I love art and the concepts that can be explored in art,
but if you're setting a course in photography, I expect photography rather
than a mixed media course wherein photographs are painted over, incorporated
into collages and montages and generally seen as a feed-medium to the
greater whole.

In the end, she dropped it, she knows she can pop into the darkroom and make
some prints whenever she wants to. Now if only I could get her to take an
exam in cleaning up the place after she'd been in there!

Jem