Subject: [Leica] Off-topic enlarger problem
From: "delia" <louzan@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 13:10:03 -0000

Each time I hear about enlarger problems, I remember a funny story that
happened to a friend of mine - a professional B&W printer.
Some years ago, he was having problems with a Leica enlarger.  One corner
was out of focus on all his prints.  He tried to fix it, but nothing seemed
to work.  One day, while talking to the late Bob Schwalberg, he told him
about it.  Bob said that this particular enlarger could be tricky to align,
and he offered to take a look at it.
He couldn't find anything wrong --but then he looked at the baseboard and
saw a small piece of photo paper - a scrap my friend used for focusing.
Bob focused on the scrap, replaced it with a sheet of photo paper, and made
a print.  It came out perfect.  It turns out that my friend, stressed at
the time, would focus on the scrap but would forget to remove it from the
baseboard before exposing the paper!!
Bob got such a kick out of it that he told him he was going to write about
it in his column "Critical focus" ...

"There are a thousand things that can go wrong while making a picture"
(Kodak)

Regards to all,
Robert