Subject: [Leica] Pre ???
From: Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 16:41:24 -0700

>>in most cases due to removing anti halation material from the
film.  The effect that these chemical byproducts have during the
development process would be the basis of some interesting research.  An
strong argument for using a prewash would be to remove these materials
prior to developing, so they do not act synergistically with the developing
agents.  It would seem that if these agents were detrimental to film
development then prewashing would be a standard recommendation.

The backing is there, in part to reduce light piping artifacts. You see
more of these backings on bases that will conduct light. I would think that
they have little or no effect as they diffuse into the developer. I think
the manufacturers took this into consideration when developing the
emulsions.

I hardly think that the consumer needs to remove anything before
development.

RM