Subject: Re: [Leica] Kennedy Photographer
From: Mark Newport <newport_m@utpb.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 08:27:06 -0600

>Elliott Erwitt?
>
>Dan C.
>
>At 11:47 PM 05-11-98 -0800, you wrote:
>>I'm new to the list.  I wonder if I might ask a non-technical question...
>>
>>During the Kennedy administration, a young photographer gained a
>>reputation for taking some great shots of the president and his family.
>>One that struck me then - and still impresses me - is that he used a
>>Leica rangefinder camera and was said to have credited his ability to
>>get in close and take shots with such feeling to the silent shutter and

In a Magnum Photos Documentary, I recall Erwitt speaking of his "random
access" to the White House during the Kennedy years.  Pierre Salinger was
the press secretary at the time and a good friend of Erwitts. They had
collaborated on some other projects and when Salinger got the White House
Press Sec. job he called Erwitt.  I would have to go back and watch the
show again to be sure.

Mark

R. Mark Newport
Publications and Special Projects