Subject: [Leica] 50's Look
From: Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 12:58:29 -0700

> The PlusXpan is a very charming film: fine but gritty grain, high
acutance
> and a very nice look of the '50s. For moderate enlargements (20x25cm)
very
> very good.

Fine but gritty grain? How are you processing the material? I have a snow
scene, 30 x 40 inch print, made on Plus-X, in 1960. This was a Dealer
Display Print offered by Eastman, and it is glorious. It shows what can be
done if the printer knows what he is doing. NOT just a '50's look, but a
look that is timeless.

If you expose properly and process the film in diluted Microdol-X (1:3),
you will have fine grain and extreme sharpness. This was Kodak's
recommendation for the best possible negatives.

BTW: Does anyone here collect Dealer Stuff? I have dealer display prints
from Eastman up to 4 x 6 foot, and many of you have seen these images as
they were used in Eastman's various Dataguides and Literature. I also
collect Dealer Coloramas, large format Kodachrome display Prints
(Kodavachromes), and advertising display stuff from Rollei, Leica, etc.

As for the '50's Look, i prefer it. It is far better than the '90's Look.

RM