Subject: [Leica] Re: B&W technique - Rodinal
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 18:16:16 -0800

I have used Rodinal since it was invented (Joke... but really, for a very
long time.) I basically use it with very slow film. Years ago I used it
with Pan-X, and my favorite, Adox KB-14. I only use 1:100 dilution and I
use the minimum possible agitation. I agree with Erwin that Rodinal
produces grain more prominent than many other developers, eg; D76 1:1 or
Microdol-X for sure . But my negatives with 1:100 Rodinal and slow film
(expose properly) are stellar. So sharp, they look like they were cut by a
razor blade. But sharpness is an illusion created by sharp grain clumps
rather than spread-out, unclumped (mushy looking) grain like Microdol-X
produces. The Mackie lines produced by bromide build-up (retarding
development) along contrast boundaries adds to the sharpness illusion. I
have found that slow film, Rodinal, and proper exposure and development,
produces stunning, Leica flattering, images. But everything has to be right
on the money.

I think Rodinal is a state of mind. Either you love it or you hate it. I
have friends who hate the stuff. And other friends (including me) who love
the stuff. It may depend entirely upon the type of photography you do and
what you want (like) the result to look like.

All this talk is making me envious. My darkroom is in the middle of a
re-model. Air conditioner (through the wall) and a bigger and better
exhaust fan over my processor and sink. I sold my V35 to a LUGger a while
back, and sold my Durst L1000. I now have a ZBE Starlight 55 Colorhead (
http://www.zbe.com/zbeproducts.html#open ) which I am going to mount on a
wall-mount Beseler 45V-XL. I'm also making a drop table for my enlarger,
for making very large prints.

So, it'll be first quarter next year before I'm back in the darkroom business.

Jim