Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanners
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 07:28:49 +0100

Ron,

Congratulations on your new M6. I went through the same experience earlier this
year, acquiring an M6 with 35mm Summicron. The equipment has since multiplied
somewhat, much to the detriment of my wallet. As for scanners, there are some people
who will say that no scanner can ever do justice to a Leica slide or negative, but I
personally enjoy using my HP Photosmart (2400 dpi, dynamic range 3.0) and I get
better results with it and subsequent printing from Photoshop than I could in a wet
darkroom. However, I do find this scanner unsatisfactory with slides and am thinking
of upgrading for that reason. The Polaroid you mention is one good possibility, as
is the new Coolscan from Nikon (I think it is called LS-2000 or something like
that).

As for storage, I think a writable CD is the best way to go, simply because it is
the most durable of the electronic media (if you buy good quality blank CDs) and the
most cost-effective (in terms of cents per MB). In addition, you can easily share
pictures with other people that way--everyone has a CD drive, few have Jaz drives.

Nathan

Ron Sosnowski wrote:

> Having started photography with a Nikkormat, then sitting on the sidelines,
> trying to make do with point-and-shoots while my wife shot away with Nikons, I
> finally decided to get back into it for more than documentation purposes.  After
> much too much deliberation (most prompted by this forum), I bought an M6 and
> Elmarit 50mm 2.8 collapsible and have not regretted it a moment.  For my use,
> the portability of the Elmarit was the deciding factor, it means I take the
> camera with me more often.  It also seems relatively easy to hand-hold, I often
> shoot at 1/60 or even 1/30 with good results.
>
> My wife and I have collected much film.  I know this topic came up several
> months ago and therefore apologize for resurrecting it, however can anyone
> please tell me what the concensus was regarding a scanner that will do justice
> to Leica-exposed slide film (Velvia)?  The purpose is mainly archiving,
> cropping, playing with contrast and exposure, etc.  Will a Polaroid Sprintscan
> 35 Plus (2700 dpi, 3.4 dynamic range) give sufficient resolution?  Are writable-
> CDs a good choice for storage or is a Jaz 2GB external drive a better way to go?
> I have seen mentions of a digest archive and would be happy to cruise that if
> it's available.  Thanks in advance for your help, I certainly appreciate this
> resource.
>
> P.S. Brian, this format is fine and thanks for all your effort in keeping the
> digest running.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium