Subject: [Leica] R8 Reliability issues
From: "Thomas J. Donovan" <75674.3465@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 21:24:46 -0500

Harrison McClary,

>>What do you mean & what were the (R8)<<
                          >>problems<<

I was one of the pioneers & bought R8s early on.
I bought one in Dec. 96, had it replaced; bought
a 2nd R8 in Jan, & had it replaced. Each R8
failed in an identical manner; the mirrors just
flipped up ( after minor usage ) & never came back
down........Really ;-)!. The replacements have been
working great ever since.

>>shipped my R8......second time....with electrical<<
>>problems....still haven't heard a word. None of my
                   >>messages were returned<<

Leica USA  took care of my problems immediately.
I would suggest a call to Ernst Hartmann ( Service
Manager ) or Roger Horn ( President ). These are
service oriented folks that give a "damn".  ;-)!

Tom D.