Subject: Re: High end audio [Macintosh] and [Leica] photographic analogies
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 18:52:52

At 17:39 09/11/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Custodian@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> There are companies like Jadis who make high end amplifiers
>> that don't measure well in bench tests but bring some special magic to
>> music - they are characterised by a very three dimensional
>> reproduction that other companies can't equal.
>
>Would that be the audio equivalent of "bokeh"? ;-)
>
>M.

I think that bokeh is not the same thing as the three-dimensional effect
Leica lenses can produce, because the latter exists when everything in the
picture is in focus. Although bokeh can also make things look 3-dimensional
by making a sharply focused subject stand out from an unfocused background,
it isn't quite the same thing. I don't think there is an audio equivalent
of bokeh because unlike photography at wide apertures where only some of
the image may be in focus, audio seeks to reproduce the full range of
recorded sounds clearly, as far as is possible. I wonder what audio would
sound like if the sounds that were not "in front" of the rest went soft and
featureless. Oh, I think I had one of those systems once. Woops. ;-)...

Joe Berenbaum