Subject: Re: [Leica] Rockin' and a-rollin'- all shook up!
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 07:41:10 -0800

Harrison wrote:

>When  I  used  to follow the Atlanta Falcons around the photographer I
>used to fly with always took a body and loaded it with high speed neg
>and  put  a 20 mm lens on the camera, just incase the plane crashed he
>could get photos.  Now there is a mercenary B........D!>>>>>>

Hi Harrison,

Similarly, my two photographer business partners and myself in the sixties
had an agreement during flying to locations.

One of the costs of assgnment charges was a very substantial extra
insurance policy in case of a plane crash. I mean there might as well be
some benefit out of it.:)

The other was what we did for seating positions in the plane and being
prepared in the event of......:(

We always selected seats on the aisle and at the rear of the plane, last
row seat if possible. Sitting on the aisle meant, if you could stand at
all, it put you in a better shooting position and it's easier to get out of
the plane if at all possible.

Another was, as soon as you were seated and belted, you took out whatever
camera you had with the widest lens and kept it in your lap ready to use. I
always had a 21mm on whatever Leica M or R camera I had in my lap. Even got
to use it a couple of times when an emergency occurred.

Fortunately in both cases we made safe emergency landings, but not with all
the engines working! One stew was quite upset because I stood-up and shot a
few frames as the plane banked to return quickly to the airport.

Trying to shoot keeps your mind off whatever might happen, besides your
last pictures could be your best!!!!!!!!!!! :)

ted