Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters for B&W
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 12:28:39 -0500

Lee-
You pretty much have the gamut as far as B+ACY-W are concerned. With B+ACY-W, and
panchromatic film, the filter renders similar colors lighter, and
complementary colors darker- so, a yellow filter will darken a blue sky, but
light yellow flowers. A red filter will darken green leaves and lighten some
complexions- in fact, it will tend to hide redness on the skin. Orange
filters tend to be somewhere between red and yellow. A green filter will
lighten foliage, and darken complexions- good for portraits of men.
I found the best use, even after 30 plus years of photography is to  look
through the filter to see if the effect is exactly what I want- sometimes
you get surprised by the way some dyes or colors react under sunlight and
through a filter+ACE- Kodak has a B+ACY-W Masterguide still out that explains filter
use- I think it is still in print... I got mine about 25 years ago, but I
think it is.
Good Luck
Enjoy
dwpost+AEA-msn.com