Subject: [Leica] New Orleans and Leica
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 10:05:31 EST

I just went to New Orleans with my Leica last month, so here are a few spots
that I found appealing:

1. The French Quarter, anywhere and everywhere. Feels very European.

2. The Garden District. in particular, take the free tour of Ann Rice's house.

3. Joe Louis Park. makes central park in NYC look like a scum-pool

4. Algiers (sp) - take the $1 ferry accross the Missisipi

There are tons of photo ops in that, my second favorite, US city. I was not
crazy about Burbon Street personally, but I live on the rough equivalent of
that street in NYC (Bleecker Street) so the "drink-till u puke" scene is
somewhat tiresome to me. (there are 45 bars on Bleecker Street literally.) Of
course we have no flashing here in NYC! <ha ha>

When you do the Garden district make sure to check out the cemetary too.
Pretty cool, just watch out for bandits.

Over all I never felt threatened anywhere I went in New Orleans and I was
carrying over $15k in photo gear, but I still believe the crime rate is much
higher there than in most American cities so watch out and get insurance on
your gear if you can.

BTW, make sure to spend one night at Snug Harbor. It is only $10 to get in and
they have the greats-of-the-greats in the Jazz world each night. Get there
early as they only have about 40 seats!

Have a good trip and snap some great pics!
Rich