Subject: [Leica] Microdol X
From: Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 22:15:00 -0700

>>This is really difficult. I'm not sure that I know how to describe a
"feeling" or"look". I have friends that swore by Microdol-X. Their
photographs were, to me, generic. Everything seemed to fit in the normal
dynamic range of the film and paper. The overall look was smooth but a
closer inspection showed marginal sharpness.

I started using Microdol-X diluted 1:3 when Kodak mentioned that this
developer and dilution would provide the highest attainable degree of
sharpness and the finest possible grain of any developer. Not just fine
grain and good sharpness, but the Highest possible negative quality. I used
to use it with 120 Verichrome Pan and with Panatomic X and they were
absolutely correct. Stuff I shot with my M3 and a tripod (Landscapes) were
untouchable.

I have seen examples more recently that show they come darn close to T-MAX
film as well.

Sharpness is more than film and developer. It has to do with paper surface,
temperature control, proper exposure and subject contrast. I use a demo
image from a large format Eastman Dealer Paper Sampler. It is of a lab
worker, medium shot, showing him working around glassware.

If you look at the image, it appears incredibly sharp and highly detailed.
Get closer and is anything but tack sharp. The reason it looks sharp is
because of good contrast.

RM