Subject: RE: [Leica] M6TTL + Vancouver Leica Day
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 09:45:10 -0300

>>He seemed quite happy to spend copious amounts of time with anyone who
>>appeared to be a doctor or a dentist and had oodles of $ to spend on new
>>Leica goodies (Yes, I know, my prejudices are showing here!),>>>>>>>>
>
>I guess once a salesman always a salesman if you can smell money! Sorry I
>realize that's not much of an answer!

        This brings up the question of misguided marketing.
Most working pro's I know spend a lot of money on equipment. They buy MANY
camera, lenses, accessories and pay for repairs.

        While I would love to be proven wrong, I know I spend a lot more
money on camera equipment the my doctor and lawyer friends (yeah! I admit, I
do have some)

        I budget $10,000.00 per year for equipment replacement and repairs
(although, it often comes in less then this. This year it was only
$7000.00).  Do amateur photographers (not collectors) regardless of their
net worth, REALLY spend $10,000.00 on cameras?

regards,

Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
St. John's, Newfoundland.
<http://www.straylight.ca/locke/>
"I've finally figured out what's wrong with photography.
It's a one-eyed man looking through a little 'ole.
Now, how much reality can there be in that?" -- David Hockney