Subject: Re: [Leica] Super Colorplan or Colorplan CF?
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 21:57:47 +0100

On 13-11-1998 15:24 Dietmar Meyer wrote:

>Leica sells the Colorplan as a CF ( curved field ) and a non-CF version.
>The Super Colorplan is available only as non-CF. At the Photokina I was
>told, that the CF has been built for the paper framed Kodachrome slides,
>and since these paper frames will vanish, there will be no new Super
>Colorplan with CF. But what about all the other unglazed plastic frames
>( e.g. HAMA )? Which lens gives for this case the better performance ?

A very interesting observation, Dietmar.
I chose the Colorplan-CF over the normal Colorplan precisely because of
its said ability to better focus glasless slides. I am not using
Kodachrome, so I haven't been able to test the system with the paper
framed Kodachrome slides (I don't like them anyway because the frames
always bend).
My slides (almost 95% Fuji) come in plastic frames. Some of the
Kodachromes 64 that I used occasionally in the past are also in plastic
pounts.
My experience is that overall focusing is better with the CF than with
the non-CF version, although I must admit not being overwhelmed. It takes
some time for the slide to be focused correctly over the whole frame,
which is quite annoying.
I would certainly be interested in reading others' experiences.
BTW: there is not much quality difference (but a steep price difference)
between the Colorplan and the Super Colorplan anyway, according to
detailed CDI test reports I saw (and wrote about in this group in the
past).

Pascal
Belgium

See my photo pages at http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
An Apple a day keeps greedy Microsoft away !