Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Fisheye (WAS: Helicopter R3?)
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 20:45:06 -0800

> >stereo images. The Hassey image would be in the middle of the wide 35mm
fish-eye shot taken at the same time.

> are you referring to the Fisheye-Elmarit-R 16/2.8 ?
>
> Pascal

How I wish!  No, the "fish eye" is a cheap auxiliary lens that screws onto
the front of a regular lens, such as the 50mm. It came along with an SL kit
I bought about two years ago and is called a "Spriratone Curvatar Ultra
Widangle Aux".

Once I took some people closeups with it just for some distorted fun. The
sharpness wasn't all that bad, so it would be more than adequate for giving
wider perspective on the Hasselblad 80mm aerial shots.

BTW, today I received my first full rolls of 70mm Kodak Aerochrome HS
(developed by Faulkner Color Lab in San Francisco), shot from altitude in
the Dolphin helicopter. I just spent the last hour at the light table with
a stereoscope, practically falling into luscious forests and rivers,
inspecting people's backyards, and marveling at the symmetry of farm
furrows and vineyards. To give you an idea of resolution, from the 1100'
altitude, I can easily see a satellite dish focus probe, which is probably
about three inches in diameter.

An interesting aspect of stereo - observing a pair of images together looks
sharper than just looking at one of the images. Does the brain "fill in"
when seeing in its normal three dimensional mode? Another person made the
same observation. The 3D images are really captivating. I wish there were
an easy way to project them in stereo
- - now that would make a great slide show!

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger