Subject: Re: [Leica] New Vario-Elmarit-R 35-70 f2.8 Asph. macro setting
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 11:51:10 EST

I'm not sure the Leica lenses would perform with such a fast motor drive.
 A good friend and fellow pro finally sold all his Leica reflex
(R7-vintage) equipment after discovering that his motor-driven exposures
(and only those) in the mid and small apertures were erratic, evidently
due to the auto diaphragms not always keeping up with the motor speed.
This was a problem with each of his six lenses to a greater or lesser
degree, and they were all purchased new and still in mint condition.  He
had sent everything back to Kindermann and they said everything was up to
specification.   After borrowing an EOS1nRS and similar focal length
lenses and shooting them side-by-side with his Leicas on PKR and finding
them as good (in a few instances, better) he switched over.  Apparently
the electronic diaphram in the EOS system is more reliable with fast
motor drive speeds; however, even my oldest Nikkors on MD4's, F4s or F5
have never given me the uneven results my colleague had with his Leicas.
 I was astounded, because I have several other friends who use
motor-driven Leicas, but I discovered that they were shooting the
majority at maximum aperture or at most one or two stops down.

Regards,
Nigel

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998 21:51:18 EST AJSymi@aol.com writes:

>I agree with Eric's earlier post...mount R lenses on an F5.
>Abrahamsson ought
>to come up with a "Rapidmount," an adapter that will let you run film
>through
>an F5 at 8fps with Leica glass!!  I think I would even help fund the
>R&D for
>this!!
>
>Arturo
>
>P.S. - Is this blasphemy??

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]