Subject: Re: [Leica] Pros and Leica sales! was vanc.
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 21:53:52 -0600

Saturday, Saturday, November 14, 1998, Donal Philby wrote:

> Another good photojournalism and war novel is by Phillip Caputo (brother
> of Caputo that works for Nat. Geo?) who wrote A Rumor of War and The
> Horn of Africa, but I can't remember the title.  As direct and
> crystaline as Hemingway, yet as poigant as Summerset Maughn.

The  book  by Caputo about a war photog is DelCorso's Gallery. One of,
if not the best, books about how a news photog works that I have read.
And  the  main character in the book uses a Leica with a Summarit and a
Nikon.

Caputo won the Pulitzer for a story written for the Chicago Tribune on
the  Mafia  after doing time in Nam as a Marine. He was a reporter for
the  Trib for many years, covered the 6 days war, fall of Siagon, held
hostage by the looney tunes (Caputo's slang for the Mojahadeen(SP)) in
Beruit  (the  pulitzer  was awarded him while he was their hostage and
this helped him get freed). So he has been there and knows the what it
takes to play the game.

I  bought  a  copy of Del Corso's Gallery about 5 years ago in Atlanta
from an Oxford book seller. It was out of print then, but they had some
in storage.

Best regards,
 Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto
preview my book: http://www.volmania.com
mailto:hmcclary@earthlink.net

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.