Subject: Re: High end audio [Macintosh] and [Leica] photographic analogies
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 23:36:07 -0700

- -----Original Message-----
From: Andre Jean Quintal <quia250249@yahoo.com>
> The magnificent ( MAGNIFICENT ! ) current
> Mark Levinson ( look at those "33" babies ! )
> m-i-g-h-t justify a Mark Levinson "customer"
> to consider spending on a model upgrade.
> It may cost you, but the performance
> definitely is there !
> . . . And the craftsmanship !

Andre,

I've gone through the Levinson phase in my audiophilia, and don't think
that's where the fun lies. I listened to a big setup recently (all ML
electronics, WAMM speakers) and felt it was a pleasant, rich, sound, lacking
in real high frequencies. I've heard better, livelier, more toe-tapping
sounds for lots less! If you get the chance, try a stock but properly
restored Dynaco SCA35 - not the quietest thing out there, and probably only
good for 10 Watts per side, but what delicious Watts those are! Price?
Around $80 for one euphamistically rated as "checked and working". Add about
$100 to actually get it working right.

I do like some fairly pricey gear, and have not found, for instance, a
stunningly good inexpensive tonearm or turntable. If I could find one, I'd
be thrilled to have a nice Breuer Dynamics tonearm - the SOUND that comes
from the Linn Sondek + Breuer combo -- clearly audible on
inexpensive-but-good speakers and electronics!! I own a Leica M outfit, not
because I think the optics will blow a Nikon away, but because I find it
great for everyday use like nothing else I know of, and no M is as much fun
as the M6!

> Don't tell me you ALSO drive a Porsche Boxster or 911 (mass transit)
> AND fly a Mooney 233 or Canadair Challenger 604 (electric R/C plane)
> AND own a Breitling 'Spatiographe' watch . . .(inherited Rolex, favor '79
Seiko)
> AND Martin-Logan Monolith III speakers ! (I haven't been impressed by the
Martin-Logans that I've heard, but dunno about this model)

Now what the would I do with all of those things...
Okay,  I think the Boxster looks terrific, but also find the Miata and Civic
CRX Si very interesting, but mine's a small, walkable town. I got to meet
Adam Werbach (ex-Sierra Club pres) and was delighted that, along with his
signature, he inscribed "Death To Sport Utility Vehicles!" in my book. I'll
get another car someday, it's just not that important to me. I've taken
good, even obsessive, care of the ones I've owned, but I note that few if
any great photos have been taken from the car. So far as I can see, neither
Eisenstadt or Cartier-Bresson managed this feat! And to paraphrase Douglas
Adams, "There is no expression in any known language which translates into
'as pretty as a freeway' ".

Mine's a pretty uncluttered life, and I like the having the freedom to make
any ole day a "Leica Day", in which arriving at the office past noon
"Because the light was really great this morning" is an okay reason. If I
had to confine my photographic enthusiasm to weekends and off-hours, I'd be
awfully unhappy!

Jeff