Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V4 #57
From: "William H. Cassing" <wcassing@elkgrove.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 23:42:30 -0800

I thoroughly enjoy reading the LUG digest.  It's usually relevant, often
informative and occasionally amusing.

I am particularly amused by the periodic comments by writers who complain
that, for whatever reason, their shutters art tripped when they put their
cameras in the bag.  These comments are not limited to this forum; they
appear elsewhere quite often.  Please allow me to make two observations.

1.  I seldom see real pros who carry their primary cameras in a bag.  I
agree with those who say that the best way to get the shot - the first rule
of good photography, if you will - is to have a camera - and to have the
camera handy, not put away in a bag.

2.  If you put your camera in a bag and you don't want to trip the shutter,
get in the habit of waiting to advance the film until you are ready to
shoot.  Advancing the film and winding the shutter immediately after each
shot has it's pros and cons.  Proponents of both philosophies can present
excellent arguments for and against their particular preference.  I'm not
saying one way is better than the other; I am saying that there are
alternatives.  If your bag trips your shutter, don't have a cocked shutter
in the bag.

One last  [off subject?] point.  I appreciate the many and varied ideas and
opinions expressed on this forum.  The occasional offensive comment about an
individual, product or idea does nothing to strengthen an argument; quite to
the contrary, it is distracting and only serves to weaken an argument.  To
those of you who present opposing views in a courteous and mature manner,
thank you!