Subject: Re: [Leica] Aerial photography
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:01:40 +0100

On 15-11-1998 19:43 Donal Philby wrote:

>But imagine you are standing behind the goal focusing on a
>forward dribbling toward you getting bigger in the frame.  With a two
>ring--difficult.  That is why I can't understand Leica building a two
>ring zoom since there is no AF.

Donal:

How right you are!
It is not easy to use the 70-180 for handheld photography (large, heavy,
two rings), it takes some practice. But I concur with you that it would
be virtually impossible to work with it for fast moving subjects where
you have to constantly zoom in and out and focus manually at the same
time.
Maybe Leica made it a two ring-zoom in anticipation of the R.9 with
autofocus capability ;-)
More seriously, I think a manual system like the current R is not much
good for action or sports photography because the "hit rate" is way too
low compared to AF systems. But I'll come back to that a bit later.

Pascal

See my photo pages at http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/