Subject: RE: [Leica] which wide ange lens?
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 13:32:52 -0000

Ferdinand,
For European scenes, I would have to say the 21mm. I, like you, had the
35,50,90 set of lenses and then acquired a wide angle, I went for the 21mm,
mind you the 24mm wasn't available then and the 28 didn't seem that much
wider than the 35, so that was my reasoning.
But I find the the 21mm gets an awful lot of Europe into the scenes I've
shot with it here, maybe even more than when I took the 21 to America and
tried using it there, though probably not...
I understand that Europe is not quite as large as the USA, heck! It's not
even as big as Texas (one Texan told me) but don't underestimate this, a 28
or 24 would struggle to get it all in in a single shot. Short of stitching
together two prints, I'd go for the 21 and save yourself the trouble.
European scenes are best blown up large to look at, some friends from across
the water would say this is merely pschological comfort for us because we're
emotianally deprived but believe me, the scenes here are more scenic to
begin with. Especially places around Slough and Wolverhampton...

yours,
with an awful lot of tongue in cheek,
but serious sentiments underneath,

Jem