Subject: [Leica] Kodachromes versus E6 films
From: "Anderson, Ferrel" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 16:38:10 -0600

Part of my analysis of new films is a resolution test using the old US
National Bureau of Standards lens testing charts.   I use the Leica f2.8 APO
Macro Elmarit-R lens at f5.6 with a lens-to-chart distance at 51 focal
lengths, which equates to a maximum possible resolution of 160 line pairs
per millimeter.  The new 100 Ektachromes display resolution of above 120
lpmm as compared to 100 lpmm for Kodachrome 25; however, the Kodachrome
shows much better contrast and much better acutance, or edge sharpness.
The result is that the increased resolution of the Ektachromes is not
manifested in superior sharpness over Kodachrome.   I have not tested Velvia
for resolution, but my subjective analysis is that it does not have the
"depth of color" that Kodachrome exhibits.  I just does not excite me, and I
don't understand the current popularity of this film for many, and
especially the professionals.