Subject: [Leica] THE SOFT RELEASE DELIMMA
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:03:47 -0800

The 400+ messages waiting for me since last Thursday have some interesting
subject lines. I've sort of been picking and choosing, during spare
moments, what to read. This line on SOFT RELEASE YOURSELF is amusing to me.

You cannot possibly tell someone the benefits of an Abrahamsson or Ward
soft release. This is a "hands-on" "experience required" effort. It's like
trying to tell someone how to drive on ice. You cannot tell them, they have
to go out and do it. Upon "doing it" it becomes immediately clear what is
going on.

Tom's dissertation was eloquent, but still... only words.

Put a SOFT RELEASE on your camera. I mean... ten bucks!!!  And then see for
yourself just exactly what it does for you. Explanations just simply do not
do it. This is an "experience required" event.

SOFT RELEASE... don't get caught without one.

Jim

At 06:44 PM 11/16/98 +0100, it was written:

>> Are Tom's releases as necessary on M2's and M3's as they are on later
>> versions of the M?  I can't believe that anything could improve the
>> shutter release of these great old cameras.
>>

>"Necessary" is a matter of opinion.  I use one of Tom's releases (a
>chrome if that makes any difference ;) on a 1963 M3.  It certainly
>makes a difference.  Without the Softrelease, the shutter release is
>fine velvet.
>
>With the Softrelease, it's smoooooooooth as silk ;-)

http://www.photoaccess.com
Jim Brick, ASMP, BIAA
Photo Access
(650) 470-1132