Subject: [Leica] M exposure metering with W/A lenses.
From: "Dr James Harper" <DRJH@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 18:29:08 -0000

The discussion of the relative merits of different wide-angle lenses for M
cameras has been most helpful, as until I recently tried 28mm with the
Ricoh GR1 I had never ventured beyond 35mm.  The 28mm experience was
certainly an eye-opener, which I want to pursue wider still and wider.

I have a query.  Several replies mentioned a metering problem, which I
understood, perhaps  wrongly, to be the possibility of incorrect exposure
because the meter's measuring angle covers a too large  (or was it too
small?) area of the scene.  If that is so, the solution is presumably to be
even more careful about exactly what you select to meter on.  But is that
possible with a very wide angle lens?    If the meter is being presented
with a whole landscape, it must be difficult for it to decide what the
important parts are.  Only a spot meter would cope, I imagine.  In what
conditions is the problem, if it exists, most likely to occur?

Apologies for any unintentional technical naivete.  All comments
gratefully received.

JH