Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Filters as protection-
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 11:39:19 -0500

BD and Jim-
While I rarely use filters unless it is to FILTER light, particularly B&W shots, I have to admit that I can see the value in some situations. A young lady came into the store recently to replace her UV filter; she had been rock climbing, and hiking, and had manage to either drop or bump the lens against an outcropping of rock that cut a fearful gash in the UV filter, and damaging the ring. Without the filter it would have been curtains for the lens; considering the conditions in which she chose to be, I felt no guilt in selling her a new filter. I did insist, however that a collapsible rubber lenshood would both serve to protect the camera further, and reduce any flare introduced by the filter.
I think it boils down do 'different strokes for different folks'; personally, if I was in a really hostile environment, I'd take a Nikonos V so that I could wash the crud off the camera before opening it! Different jobs require different tools.
Cheers to all of you, filtered or unfiltered!
Dan
dwpost@msn.com