Subject: [Leica] Russian lens quality
From: Mike Dembinski <mdembin@it.com.pl>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 23:52:38 +0200

Tested the Jupiter 8M and Helios-103 53mm lenses bought along with a Kiev 4
(and Jupiter-12 35mm lens and all for around 20 bucks) at the Warsaw Gielda
Fotograficzna the other week. Simultaneously ran a roll of Royal Gold 200
asa through the Kiev and my Leica M6 with 50mm Summicron-M.

Initial glimpse of 6"x4" prints revealed little difference. However,
looking at the comparative scene (telegraph poles running across
snow-covered fields), through a lupe, the Leica lens proved to be in an
entirely different league. The individual wires had far better definition;
greater edge sharpness. And the porcelain insulators, just detail-less
blobs with the Soviet lenses, were entirely clear through the Summicron
despite a slightly shorter focal length. And looking at the fir tree in the
foreground, the Summicron provided far more contrast and subtelty of
shades. The Leitz lens gave the little scene a 'lift' that the Jupiter and
Helios couldn't.

Back in the days before I traded darkroom for kids, 16"x20" prints were the
final output of my photographic labourings. There's just no way those
Soviet lenses could cut it at enlargements that size.

So, there we are. For anyone hankering after a f/1.5 Jupiter or a 20mm
Russar - the lenses may be one hundredth of the price (!), but if large
prints are required, stick to Leitz!

Mike

PS:Today's  Kiev photo equipment is Ukrainian, not Russian. Prior to 1991,
Kiev was in the Ukrainian SSR, part of the Soviet Union, not Russia. Hence
my care to distinguish Kievs of 1979 vintage as Soviet. FEDs and Zorkis,
with their LTMs, on the other hand, were manufactured in Russia.