Subject: [Leica] Re: the mysterious "you wrote" and/or manners?
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 06:27:04 EST

Mary and Jim:

I have been on the LUGNET for about a year now and I have never experienced
rudeness.  In fact, I have found the group extremely kind and generous with
their time and knowledge.   The group has educated me about Leica and I am
extremely grateful.  Hopefully, as time goes by, I will be able to provide
more to the group.

Although related to rudeness it would probably fall in the category of
manners.

What I struggle with at times is the expression of gratitude for the time that
one puts into providing input to those requesting it.    In my opinion, it is
proper manners, socially or professionally, to thank someone for their time
and efforts.  We are adults and we have taught this to our children.  What I
struggle with is what is the right thing to do in this electronic forum?
Should we expect to receive and provide an expression of gratitude to those
that take the time to respond to our individual questions?  It does take
bandwidth and time to review the posts.  However, it does show respect and it
does help in maintaining the "class act" stature of the Leica Group.

Over the past months I have asked for help on many topics and received it for
which I am extremely grateful.  I have tried to express this appreciation to
those that responded.  If I have been remiss in doing this please accept my
sincere apology.  I have responded to one particular individuals posts
numerous times.  In one recent  post it took me over an hour to gather the
information.  To this date this person has never responded to any of my
emails.    I have tried not to take it personally because this person does not
show any type of gratitude to anyone in the group.  However, it has made me me
stop and think about the level of effort that I put into responding to this
persons requests.  This is not good for the group.

 So, I present to the group.  Should we accept input that is directed to us
individually and understand that there is an underlying expression of
gratitude or should we take the time and express it back through the group?
Or, should we do so directly to the individuals email address?

Thanks,
Bob Bedwell
Greensboro, NC

<< >  I consider rudeness & ignorance by a fellow Leica user.

 >  Mary Grace

 Leaving off a name is "rude and ignorant???" jeep... give me a break!
 Maybe forgetful. Maybe involved in the message. But rude and ignorant?
 That's not even in the realm of reality. Which planet are you from? I don't
 believe that the LUG family will take kindly to being called "rude and
 ignorant." So do J-Walkers get the death penalty?

 Jim