Subject: [Leica] Re: Photo vests & picking up girls with the help of a Leica
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 12:29:34 -0000

"David Medley" <dmedley@whidbey.net> wrote:

>Just where is it you live where you will be stopped and questioned by
authorities for the type of clothing you wear?

Any fifty-year-old Lugnuts who wore their hair long in the late 1960s
and early 1970s have probably been aware of this phenomenon --  I
should think it applies to most communities and has done since the
late 1960s.

I remember how a friend (the chief scientist of a British Government
research laboratory) was stopped by the police one night around 1968
just because he was bearded and wore sandals. To the police that made
him a middle-aged hippy = a drug user. When he complained, the police
raided his apartment a few days later, claiming to have had a tip-off
he was a drug dealer! What they made of his druid regalia I hate to
think - he's probably on the police computer as a suspected
transvestite. He didn't make any attempt to sue - I guess he could
envisage how the resulting publicity might have resulted in tabloid
newspaper headlines reporting how a government scientist puts on a
long robe, goes to Stonehenge and worships the rising sun -- hardly a
career-enhancing event!

While peering nostalgically through my bi-focals and remembering those
distant days when the M4 was the latest wonder-product from Wetzlar
and the saxophone playing of Archie Shepp was the "New Thing" in
modern jazz, I would add a comment to the thread about using Leicas to
pick up women.

My IIIg once helped me pick up a very sexy girl (in British slang
NOOKY isn't just the code word for a Leica accessory), while the young
lady who admired my IIIb is now my wife. However my sex life was not
improved by buying an M2 or a Leicaflex, so it seems that only a
screw-mount camera has the magic qualities.

Regards,

Doug Richardson