Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: AF R Series?
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 12:04:59 +0100

Hi Martin,

I have never understood how digital is convenient for a P&S application. My
wife has asked me about buying a digital P&S, as have a couple of friends. I
ask them to imagine what happens when they go on a two-week holiday with
their camera (this is when point-and-shooters tend to take the most
pictures). Either they would have buy a bunch of extra storage cards,
greatly increasing the cost of their outfit; or lug a portable computer
along to download the pictures from the camera to the hard disk
occasionally. Keep in mind that these are people who would not dream of
getting into any kind of photo manipulation (darkroom, Photoshop etc.).
Today they drop off their films in the drug store or supermarket and pick up
the pictures a couple of days later. They do not understand or care much why
some pictures "come out" and others do not. This is the type of customer
that 95% of the P&S market is composed of. I just do not see how digital can
attain the level of convenience and simplicity that these people require.

Note that I have not said anything about image quality here. I do not
believe that this is an issue for this market; I am sure that already today,
many people would be perfectly happy with 4x6 prints from, say, the Leica
Digilux or its equivalents (although those cameras cost 2-3 times as much as
a good P&S--until that difference disappears, I do not see a big market).

Nathan