Subject: [Leica] neg/slide scanning
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@jnlcom.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 10:46:03 -0600

It has been pointed out to me by several scanner operators that color
slide films scan better than negs.  Negs the grain is apparent (even
emphasized) because the way the scan works it picks up everything on the
film.  On slide the grain is far less apparent because of the process
involved in souping the film.

This is all a little technical for me, but these people do this for a
living and they have shown me examples of what they are talking about.

FYI They are using the very high end drum scanners, not desktop jobs.

Robert G. Stevens wrote

>I shot it with a 50 asa Agfa print film and Velvia.  The
>Velvia scanned with almost no grain.  The Agfa looked muddy in the whites
>and was grainier.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto
new book at http://www.volmania.com