Subject: [Leica] Retrofit lightmeter for M1-2-3-4?
From: Mike Dembinski <mdembin@it.com.pl>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 23:23:08 +0200

Several threads i.e.

1) "Should I buy an M6 or an M3?

2) "What should Leica Camera's business strategy be?

3) "Who makes meters for Leica?"

have sparked this thought (which I'm sure is not new to veteran luggers).

Is it possible for Leica to make a ton of money off of us by offering to
install light meters in our pre-M6 Ms? Since I bought my M6, my M3 and M4
do not get used (my tatty old M2 is sometimes pressed into service to carry
my equally tatty Super Angulon).

My M3 - mint minus - I'd hate to part with it, but right now, I just take
it out of the display cabinet once a month, wind on, release shutter at a
few speeds and replace. My M4 tends to get ignored somewhat.

Couldn't someone - anyone - come up with an ingenious way of installing
M6-type light meters into the older Ms? Even if it means sacrificing the
self timers and collectability value? (And hey? Why not LTM models??)

Mike