Subject: Re: [Leica] JB, filters, flames, and technique
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 17:03:53 -0800

D . K. wrote:
> The reason I shoot
> Leica has nothing to do with tripods, indeed nothing to do with "poor
> technique" as you say. It fits in my pocket and produces superb photos when
> I need to pull it out.

For a client once I photographed a software package on white background.
The quentessential boring product shot.   I've done many and know how to
deal with reflections, straight lines, crumpled boxes, etc.  But upon
seeing final 4x5 tranies, client whined and sniveled about little things
(maybe it should have been 2 degree to the left; maybe we should show
just a sliver more of the top, etc. etc.) despite having been there and
okayed everything as we went along.  I was explaining this to an art
director who had worked with them in the past and he said:

"If there is no strong concept to the photo, all there is left is
technical execution.    If we could have talked them into doing a strong
concept, communicating something, their issues wouldn't have come up at
all."

donal
- --
Donal Philby