Subject: Re: [Leica] JB, filters, flames, and technique
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 14:26:22 -0800

Eric Welch wrote:

> Funny, I notice a difference in Leica black and white negatives too. It's
> obviously not sharpness when you look at them on a light table from a
> distance. I haven't even really thought about why they might look
> differently. But there is a difference. Wonder what it is. You figured it
> out? Lack of flare?
>
> Or maybe it's something as mundane as they are better exposed

I think it is contrast of the lenses.  Nikon lenses look flat by
comparison.  The images I saw the other night by Colin Finley, shot by
Canon were nice prints, but highlights blown.  They looked like prints
done where you take a flat negative and bump the contrast--they get an
edginess that I don't like.  Same feeling I had of James Nachwey's
work.  Whereas the Leica negs seem to produce a richness of tonal ranges
that is different than simple contrast.  Salgado's prints, for instance,
have a subtley of tones I like.  Hard to define, at least for my
non-technical mind.  I just like them better and find they are easier to
print.

But, as shown by the powerful documentary work of Finley's I saw,
content can be so strong it overcomes all technical considerations.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego