Subject: Re: [Leica] Lightboxes
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 15:27:57 -0800

Dr James Harper wrote:

>  I want to buy one for use with 35mm colour slides.   Say 10 by 8 inches.
> The price range of those advertised is surprisingly big.  This must be due
> to something important.  Or perhaps important only for certain situations?

The cost of the daylight balance florescent bulb is the reason.  In the
past I have used an upside down two bulb fixture (the kind that go in
drop ceilings) with a piece of plex over it, but the tubes cost about
$25 each.  A local camera store here carries them, or talk to a light
bulb specialty shop.   These are specialty tubes that give full spectrum
light.  The kind of tubes that when used in school rooms (instead of the
partial spectrum cheap ones) leads to improved behavior of the
children.  Think about that while staring for hours at a non-full
spectrum light box wondering why you are grouchy.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego