Subject: Re: [Leica] Landscapes with M Cameras (long)
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 21:19:42 EST

According to his book, 90% of his M work is with the 21, 35 Summicron
and 90 Summicron and the rest with a 50 Summilux.  (The photos in his
books are evidently a culmination of different eras of his career because
some of the 21 and 35 shots are with the S/A and 35/2.8 Summaron.)  There
are a few shots by other photographers in the Leica M book but they are
not identified as having been shot with Nikon.   Perhaps  the most
admirable thing about Mr. Bower is that although his books are a
testament to the Leica, he never makes a single chauvinistic remark
proposing Leica as optically or mechanically superior to any other
marque.  Interestingly, the section on "Equipment" in "Lens, Light, and
Landscape" omits the Leica Reflex entirely: instead the Canon EOS is
captioned "modern35mm SLR"; although Hasselblad, Rollei, and Linhof are
pictured for medium and large format.  I had heard that Bower no longer
uses the Leica Reflex, but we pro photographers are a notoriously fickle
lot!

Regards,
Nigel

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 14:30:29 -0600 Bud Cook <budcook@ibm.net> writes:
>Isn't this the photographer who uses primarily the 21 Elmarit-M and 35
>Summilux-M?  If I remember correctly, the book of his that I saw had a
>few Nikon
>exposures from another photographer that looked pretty bad when
>compared to the
>Leica stuff.
>Bud
>
>> Nigel wrote:
>>
>> "I am forever beholden to Mr. Bower for having awakened me to the
>feasibility
>> of using the Leica M for all-round scenic photography.  His "Lens,
>Light and
>> Landscape" is a fine book IMHO."

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]