Subject: [Leica] Re:archiving or not.
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 22:13:48 EST

You guys debating this "archiving of my comments" issue really crack me up.

Funny thing is, in my work we run into people who have a similar problem. I am
a newspaper reporter and work in a room full of newspaper reporters. Our
computers, like most, are networked, allowing us to use e-mail to talk to each
other, with the little messages appearing right there on the screen in front
of us.

You guessed it -- people get FURIOUS when someone reads their messages, either
accidntally or not so accidentally. My response is, if you don't want it read,
don't send it. What you're doing, I tell them, is putting your alleged secret
message ON A TV SCREEN IN A ROOM FULL OF PAID SNOOPS!

Same thing here: anyone putting a message on any internet board/ site/
web/area/chat/whatever is publishing it to the entire world. Trying to  claim
ownership or control of it is not only futile, but fails to recognize that the
true blame for your loss of control lies with yourself, no one else.

You don't want it splattered all over the world, don't broadcast it on the
internet, the most uncontrolled, anarchic creation in the world at the moment.
I haven't heard any court decisions yet, but I suspect trying to claim
ownership of something you put on the LUG or anywhere else would get you
laughed out of court.

charlie trentelman
ogden, Utah