Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] neg/slide scanning
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 21:43:52 -0600

Monday, Monday, November 23, 1998, Eric Welch wrote:

> That must be the high end. Because for low end scanners the exact opposite
> is the case. The lower-priced scanners can't handle the contrast of slides.
> Though our Kodak scanner is much better at it with the latest lookup tables
> in the scanner driver

I  was talking about high-end, and was not talking about the contrast,
rather  the  appearance  of grain in the images. The contrast issue is
right negs do work better than slides in that respect.

It  was brought to my attention while working on my book that scanning
from  the  negs would really accent the grain on the super G 800 I had
to shoot at an indoor event I could not light.

I  checked  with  three  different people involved in high end digital
work and they all reported the exact same thing.

Best regards,
 Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto
preview my book: http://www.volmania.com
mailto:hmcclary@earthlink.net

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.