Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: AF R Series?
From: WOCCCC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 07:48:43 EST

Andre,
   Comment was ment to answer the question Martin posed, why would they.....
My thought was, to increase lens sales at the very modest risk of the loss of
a body sale.  Given the cost would likely, at best, stay the same I would
doubt the sales would jump in major quantities but for those that have a fair
sum invested in their Canon or Nikon systems could pick and choose the lenses
that they needed. And who knows, could even like them enough to actually buy a
body after a time.
I should mention that I don't assume this will ever happen, just noting why it
could.
  Yes, I do 'see' the difference in my M and some of my Nikon lenses, but
without the whole setup to go lens to lens I'm still not sold that investing
the house on a switch is worth it to me, that of course is a personal choice.
Now, if some enterprising person wants to supply me with a full R outfit to
make the test, and of course, report back to the LUG on the results I would be
more then happy to
do it :->
Bill

<< 	1 / It's not so sure Germans [ and many others ] aren't REAL PROUD of
LEICA products, even if they don't or can't all own such.

 	2 / To maintain the sort of manufacturing levels of quality, which may not
be all that automatable, perhaps, who knows if it could be done to deliver
such a level of craftsmanship on, say, double or triple or ten times the
quantities produced currently.

 	3 / Then, LEICA being "real value" oriented, it could very well be a factor
that would lessen  the overall value of the established LEICA base, 	customer
loyalty (which could then "transfer" as a less meaningful "alternate lens
manufacturer"),
LEICA stocks per se, gradually watering down the whole LEICA market,
world-wide network, business philosophy and corporate mentality and be gobbled
up in no time by some corporate take-over as dedicated
"followers" loose sight of what it REALLY is they invested in to start with
and give in
to the consensus mentality of immediate cash returns on a sell-out versus
developing the capital value of the whole corporation,
which has what it takes to endure in very many ways.

Market pressures are one thing, 	managing such a high tech firm another.

Market share is one thing,  a self-supporting, profitable corporation
with social consciousness and commitment, loyalty towards its employees and
managers, then its dealers and customers, another.

 [ I would also question the presumption that a LEICA camera is not such a
good
 purchase, implicit in such comments. ]

Obviously, it shows that you can SEE the difference with LEICA products
and wish "the others" could reach such heights.

I'll buy that !

Andre Jean Quintal