Subject: Re: [Leica] JB, filters, flames and technique
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 14:38:25 EST

Ironically, the 55/2.8 Micro is a much better performer at infinity than
in extreme close-ups (the 105/4 Micro and 200/4 Micro are the best
choices there, or try a PK-13 or PN-11tube on the fabulous 180 for a
*real* eye-opener) and the 55 is not the best portrait lens, either.   I
like it because it stops down 2 stops farther than a 50/1.4 and that's
handy in rare instances where maximum DOF is worth the diffraction loss.
 I commend your wife on her impeccable taste .  The 85/2 happens to be
one of my favourites, as well as the lens (along with the 24/2.8)
responsible for the bulk of Galen Rowell's finest work.  Have your wife
re-shoot that image of you with *that* lens.
As to the 35 Summicron ASPH...well, it's one dandy lens.  Worth a bunch
of Nikkors for sure!

Regards,
Nigel

On Tue, 24 Nov 98 13:33:11 -0500 pchefurka@plaintree.com writes:

>I recently traded in a bunch of Nikkors to finance the purchase
>of a 35 Summicron ASPH.  The ones I kept were the 55/2.8 Micro,
>the 180 AF and my wife's favorite, the 85/2.0.  The comment I
>want to make is about the 55's bokeh.
>
>Now, I really like this lens.  It's handy, sharp and contrasty.
>But the bokeh sucks.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]